On few heavy-duty grinders, especially centerless grinders, often the demands are high both on quality and productivity with the following essential characteristics of wheel dressing :
1. Uniform dressing over the full strength of wheel.
2. Proper abrasive glaze-free surface on the wheel.
3. Wheel edges free of broken edges.
At the same time, from the economic point of view, the dresser becomes expensive when not property designed to meet all the requirements. However, a combination dresser has been conceived to combine quality with economy.
The dresser consists of three dressing blades set in a bronze shank (like any other blade dressers) in the form of a sandwich. The blades are set with gaps to ensure a proper follow up action during dressing. The middle blade serves as the main load carrying member. The other two blades serve a leading and lagging cutting point to ensure a glaze free dressings.
Cost Comparison / Economy
This dresser is supposed to give nearly three to four time than the life span with a normal blade dresser, and can be expected to result in a net cost saving of around 40% on tooling cost.
1. Centreless grinding (plain)
2. Cylindrical grinding with wheels (500 mm, and above in dia.)
3. Surface grinding (TOS, BLOHM and Other heavy duty large machines)